Wednesday 3 September 2014

7th of August, Cap Feret to Dax

I woke a little reluctantly this morning, I wasn't hungover as such, just a little fuzzy, a cup of coffee and another free shower soon sorted that, I said my goodbyes and thank you to Allan and his tribe and made my way back out of the peninsula. The drive to Dax seemed longer than the 2 and a half hours the sat nav suggested, it
probably didn't help that said sat nav gave me a massive scare by refusing to charge, the age old method of turning off and back on again seemed to work, hope it's not a sign that it's nearing the end !
When I arrived in Dax I was immediately underwhelmed by the Aire, it was just another car park with no facilities, maybe I'd been spoilt last night. As it was it was a free place to sleep for the night that is less than a 2 minute bike ride into the town centre. The Aire is situated behind the park and right next to the bullring ! The town is gearing up for La Feria, an annual festival that includes a week of local traditional parades, music, dancing and bullfighting. I'm not a fan of the idea if I'm honest so I'm almost glad I'm a week early and instead have a live music festival to cope with instead, much more humane, well after the first band finished anyway.
It has been hot here today, 29 degrees almost too hot for my usual amble about on the bike, but I did it anyway, there are some nice public fishing lakes and a woodland cycle trail just by the Aire, very pretty and a host of shops in the other direction all surrounding a rather grand church. There are many bars and brasseries along with several restaurants in the main town square but if I'm honest I didn't find them quite as friendly or welcoming as the local tourism board would have you believe. It appears to be a nice enough town but I'm not overly enamoured if I'm honest but you can win them all !

I have been on the road for a week now and it has flown by, one more night in France tomorrow and then onward to Espania, I speak less Spanish than I do French and by less I mean none. Could be interesting.

No comments:

Post a Comment