Wednesday 3 September 2014

16th of August Felletin to Saint Pourcain via Clermont Ferrand

I was up early, the morning was fresh and the cold water I washed with really sharpened me up. It was time to drive to Clermont for today the Top14 season started and Clermont played host to Grenoble, the hours or so drive in was pleasant enough and the sun was making an appearance already, it generally seems a little shy in the mornings.
On the way I found myself a little taken aback at the scenery today, it would appear that to get to the Rugby I would in fact be driving through a range of, not mountains but Volcanoes, wasn't expecting that !
I found a place to park for free less than half a mile from the stadium an wandered off to buy a ticket, this was my first Top14 game and I was excited ! The stadium was great and the atmosphere was that only provided by passionate sports fans on the first day back after the off season. Fofana, Parra, Rougerie and Bonnaire all played as did Abendanon on his debut after a move from Bath but the Fox did not, Jonathon Davies one of the latest Welsh imports to France has not fully recovered from the shoulder injury sustained playing for Wales against South Africa, another game I was in attendance. Clermont showed true class at times and their supporters are fanatical to say the very least, Grenoble put up a good fight, better than I expected but were found wanting.

After a drama-free escape from the metropolis that is Clermont I found my way with ease to Saint Pourcain, I learned quickly (mainly due to the massive amount of posters) that the Tour de France passes through the town, they seemed very proud ! The Aire was busy (50+) but quiet and I managed to bag a spot on the river bank and very pretty it was too. After a mild argument with a French neighbour who was questioning if my van was a "camping car"  as it had no toilet and therefore shouldn't be allowed on the Aire, I think he was just jealous of my pitch. I soon learned that good body language and a well executed glare car transcend any language barrier, his wife ushered him back in to their van and shot me a nervous smile. That was the first bit of negativity I've had from anyone in over two weeks and it annoyed me, I've had such a great day and I've had such a great time touring round, I'm determined not to let the little Frenchman rattle my cage. So I did the sensible thing and went for a bike ride, it was dark by the time I returned and there were no lights on in his van so tears before bedtime after all.






No comments:

Post a Comment